Technorati search

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Soulforce Demonstration at Liberty Univ - A Non-issue?

I was all ready to rant and rave about Jerry Falwell and Liberty University being bigoted and so forth. About how they were wrong to arrest people and make a scene, but you know what? I really can't say alot about it.

Now first I want to say that I totally and completely support gay rights, gay marriage, gay food...whatever. And no, I am not gay myself, but I have enough gay friends that I can understand their predicament, as much as a 40-ish single father of four can I suppose.

Now, about this Liberty thing. Soulforce wanted to go on Liberty's campus and dialogue with the other Christians, since Soulforce is a Christian group. OK...that's fine, but Liberty Chancellor Jerry Falwell said "No, we don't want you here" and then told them that they would be arrested if they came on their property. Pretty cut and dry that was. So, when Soulforce volunteers piled out of their bus, approached the gate and got arrested, they were surprised?

D'oh! I am sorry, but as much as I would like to be indignant and rant and rave, I (and it pains me greatly to say this) actually have to side with Jerry and his Liberty-ites. I mean, if a bunch of Liberty kids called me and said, "Hey Jeff, we want to pop over and discuss how you are going to burn in Hell, since you are Wiccan and all" I would say "no thanks". If they said "well, we're coming anyway", they could very well expect to see LPD's finest waiting for them.

So what we have here is not some evil Christian plot to rid the world of gays (though I am sure one exists); no, what we have here is a property owner exercising his right to have trespassers removed.

Like I said....a non-issue really.



Peace and Light

Jeff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home