Technorati search

Friday, May 12, 2006

“There are no Atheists in Foxholes”

Everyone in the military has heard the old cliché, “There are no Atheists in Foxholes.” Well, not true; not only are there Atheists, but there are Pagans, Christians, and people of many different religious paths. As an Eclectic Wiccan and a Non Commissioned Officer in the United States Army, I can speak from experience.

In the days prior to Operation Iraqi Freedom, I frequently walked out a ways from everyone, while staying within the secured perimeter, drew my circle and performed my solitary ceremonies / rituals. I often asked for protection, courage and strength for my soldiers and myself in the upcoming conflict. On a few occasions, other soldiers walked upon me in the middle of my ceremonies / rituals and asked what I was doing. When I would explain, most of them would ask if I could bless them also, in which I would comply. I know for a fact that a few of them were devout Christians. The day before we crossed the Iraqi border, I drew runes of protection on all the vehicles in my section. My section was in many of the engagements on the way to Baghdad, and none of the vehicles or my soldiers were ever hit with any enemy fire. We had a few close calls, but all my soldiers made it home safely. Some may say that it was luck or coincidence, but I believe that my ceremonies had at least a small part to do with it.

On one occasion in particular, as the sun was setting, I had just finished drawing my circle and cleansing the area. I was meditating to clear my mind in the growing darkness when four soldiers approached my circle and asked what I was doing. I explained that I was about to ask the Goddess and God to watch over my soldiers and myself in the upcoming conflict and cast a spell of protection over them and myself. They asked a few questions about my religion and about magic, and I explained about my path and about magic, as best I could. The whole time they were very respectful. After a little while, one of the soldiers mentioned that they needed to get back to their squad. But before leaving they asked if I would mention them to my God and Goddess. One of them commented that a little extra protection was always welcome, no matter where it came from. I felt uplifted by the respect in their voices and actions. Before I began my ceremony / ritual again, I inspected the circle that I traced in the sand. To my surprise none of them had disturbed or crossed it, even in the fading light where it was very difficult to see. I included their names in my ritual and in my spell of protection.

Read the rest of this story HERE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home